Belfast Telegraph

Arrest warrant issued for Belfast man Keenan over murder of Anthony McErlain

By Nevin Farrell

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a man accused of murdering a former labourer in Ballycastle.

John Paul Patrick Keenan (51), whose address was given as Victoria Street in Belfast, is charged with murdering Anthony McErlain in the Co Antrim seaside town.

The body of 48-year-old Mr McErlain was found at a house in Broombeg View in January of last year.

Mr McErlain was a former labourer and spent many years living in the Republic of Ireland.

He had also worked on the Channel Tunnel.

Mr McErlain had previously been employed with McKeague's Concrete in Dunloy.

Keenan's case was listed at Coleraine Magistrates Court yesterday. However, he did not attend the hearing.

District Judge Peter King said: "Given the history of this case, I would be surprised if he was here."

A police officer formally connected the accused to the charge in his absence.

A court clerk said a co-accused has already been returned for trial to Antrim Crown Court.

At Coleraine Magistrates Court in March, John Keenan was again not present on that occasion when District Judge Liam McNally was told by defence solicitor Derwin Harvey the accused was in a homeless hostel in London and a summons had been served.

The case had been adjourned until yesterday's court sitting.

John Keenan's nephew - Christopher Patrick Keenan (35), of Broombeg View, Ballycastle - has also been charged with murdering Mr McErlain.

Christopher Keenan had his case sent to Antrim Crown Court for arraignment on May 9 and was remanded in continuing custody.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph