Belfast Telegraph

Asbestos in Portadown school is ‘deeply worrying’

Asbestos found in a staff toilet block at Portadown College has been described as ‘deeply worrying’ by Upper Bann MLA, Sam Gardiner.

The discovery of asbestos, which remains the highest single cause of work related deaths, was made when contractors were carrying out work on the facilities.

But while the Southern Education and Library Board has expressed that the find was ultimately of little concern as neither staff nor pupils were exposed to the deadly fibrous material, Mr Gardiner remained unconvinced.

“I will be contacting the Southern Education Board in Armagh to find out if an audit of all school buildings has been carried out with a view to detecting asbestos. I was under the impression that an asbestos audit had been carried out across all schools and I want to establish the truth of this,” he said.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph