Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Belfast actor Martin McCann in the clear over cocaine but still facing car charge

By Allan Preston

Published 02/04/2016

Accused: Martin McCann
Accused: Martin McCann

A cocaine charge against Belfast actor Martin McCann has been dropped, but a separate charge remains in force.

The 32-year-old star of Killing Bono, '71 and Clash Of The Titans was charged with possessing the class A drug in north Down on July 3 last year.

He pleaded not guilty, and a defence solicitor told Newtownards Magistrates Court on February 2 that his father had admitted the offence.

The court papers also claimed the actor allowed a man to drive an Audi A5 on the Bangor to Belfast carriageway without insurance on the same day.

George Watters was alleged to have been driving over the alcohol limit, and police claimed that Mr McCann had assisted him in the offence, which took place close to the actor's home on Farmhill Road.

On March 3 the drug charges were officially dropped, but the charge of assisting Mr Watters to drive remains.

A defence solicitor said the charge against Mr McCann's father had been dealt with by a £250 fine.

The charge against George Watters for drink-driving is also proceeding.

So far Mr McCann has avoided a criminal conviction, which could have seen him barred from working in the US.

The most severe penalty for possessing class A drugs is an unlimited fine and seven years in prison.

Any conviction for drugs could have put the actor's career prospects in America in serious jeopardy.

McCann currently lives in Holywood, Co Down, but he grew up in the Divis area of west Belfast.

Most recently he appeared in critically acclaimed The Survivalist, which was released in February.

The Northern Ireland-filmed post-apocalyptic thriller saw him in the lead role playing a recluse living off the land.

He has also had a successful stage career and appeared in numerous short films and television series.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph