Belfast Telegraph

Belfast bonfire injunction: Council outlines aim of court order

Public safety behind court move

By Jonathan Bell

Belfast City Council has outlined the aim of the injunction it obtained against four bonfire sites across the city.

Confusion reigned on Monday morning with some councillors at odds to what the court order meant and what the council should do in response.

Alliance MLA Chris Lyttle said there was a need for the council to clarify what the injunction meant.

In response, Belfast City Council said: "The injunction granted to Belfast City Council was obtained in the context of preserving public safety and avoiding and minimising damage to property.  In particular its purpose was to prevent more materials from reaching the sites in question. 

"The injunction does not make any specific reference to the lighting of the bonfire. The Council will review any information received – either directly or via the police – relating to any persons allegedly breaching the injunction, and will consider what further action is appropriate.”

The council took action on the sites at Bloomfield Walkway, Avoniel Leisure Centre car park, Inverary playing fields and Cregagh Park East.

The council told the Belfast Telegraph: “The council does not and cannot vouch for the safety of the bonfires referred to.

"In consultation with its statutory partners, the council is working to ensure that arrangements are in place to protect the public and property, a responsibility it and the other agencies take very seriously.

"The injunction was a pragmatic step to manage issues identified at the time it was obtained, based on information which had been known to the council.”

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph