Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Belfast man fined after sending letter to David Cameron threatening to burn down mosque

By Alan Erwin

Published 05/08/2015

The 51-year-old had denied a charge of sending a threatening article to Mr Cameron with the purpose of causing him distress or anxiety
The 51-year-old had denied a charge of sending a threatening article to Mr Cameron with the purpose of causing him distress or anxiety

A Belfast man has been fined £500 for sending a letter to Prime Minister David Cameron said to contain a threat to burn down a mosque.

Brian Brown was convicted of posting the menacing message to Downing Street last month.

The 51-year-old had denied a charge of sending a threatening article to Mr Cameron with the purpose of causing him distress or anxiety.

A second count of threatening to damage property, namely a mosque, was dropped due to the perceived duplication.

Brown, of Claremont Street in Belfast, was said to have sent the letter on a date between April 1-10.

He was charged under the Malicious Communications (Northern Ireland) Order 1988.

Defence lawyers had contested the allegation by insisting the letter was never intended to cause any distress.

Instead, it was claimed, Brown acted out of frustration over the plight of his partner in the Sri Lanka area.

According to his lawyer he had first written to the Prime Minister in a bid to help her gain entry to the UK.

After being convicted in his absence Brown appeared before Belfast Magistrates' Court today for sentencing.

District Judge Bernadette Kelly imposed a £500 fine and ordered him to pay a further £15 offender levy.

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph