Belfast man who 'simply won't behave himself' refused bail
A Belfast man who "simply won't behave himself" was refused bail on Monday after it emerged he has a history of breaching conditions imposed.
Ruairi Padraig Walls is currently in custody on charges arising from a burglary and robbery at a house in south Belfast in August 2015.
The 27-year-old, from Donegall Street, is accused of breaking into a house at Newforge Grange, stealing designer sunglasses, clothes and jewellery and of assaulting the 18-year-old occupant, as well as threatening to burn the house down with a 16-year-old girl inside.
During a bail application made on behalf of Walls at the High Court, Mrs Justice Keegan was told that the request was being objected to over concerns Walls would re-offend.
Crown barrister Kate McKay also told the Judge that as Walls has breached conditions imposed the last time he was granted bail "multiple times", there were also concerns he would do the same again.
She said the "plethora of breaches" included drinking alcohol, not observing a curfew and failing to reside at the bail address.
Walls is also alleged to have broken a non-molestation order whilst on bail following a domestic matter in Lisburn on July 1. During his arrest, Walls is accused of being aggressive to police and of telling officers he had swallowed 27 wraps of heroin.
As a result, he was taken to hospital, where medical tests confirmed he had not ingested any drugs, but had been drinking - which the Crown say was yet another breach of bail.
Mrs McKay said: "He could be enjoying bail if he could behave himself while on bail, but he simply won't do that."
The prosecutor confirmed PE papers were being prepared for the burglary and robbery at Newforge Grange.
A barrister acting on behalf of Walls asked that his client be granted bail. Pointing out that "some of the alleged breaches were not brought to the attention of the court", the barrister said that should bail be granted, a job as a casual labourer was available.
Regarding the offences arising from the burglary and robbery in August 2015, the barrister said Walls was entitled to "a presumption of innocence."
After listening to submissions from both the Crown and defence, Mrs Justice Keegan refused to grant the application on the grounds that Walls would not adhere to any conditions she imposed.
Belfast Telegraph Digital