Belfast Telegraph

Blocked chimneys 'pose poison risk'

Blocked chimneys and flues pose a serious risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in early winter, a campaign group has warned.

Many fires and boilers have not been used for months and could have been filled up by debris or even nesting birds, the Carbon Monoxide Awareness charity said.

There have been at least five deaths from the lethal gas this year in Northern Ireland.

Charity spokeswoman Lynn Griffiths said: "Early winter is especially dangerous as fires or boilers that have not been used in months are suddenly pressed into action."

She said plants may have covered wall vents.

"Exactly these sorts of events have caused lethal tragedies in the past," she added.

A post-mortem examination carried out on a man found dead in Co Fermanagh on Wednesday has confirmed that the cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.

The victim, who died in Irvinestown, was aged 37 and from Malaysia.

Police believe he was overcome by fumes from a generator in a restaurant.

This month a well-known couple in Irvinestown, Killian and Pauline Scallon, were fatally poisoned by carbon monoxide in their home.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph