Belfast Telegraph

Bloody Sunday victims remembered

Events have been held to mark the 40th anniversary of Bloody Sunday in Londonderry.

Relatives of the victims attended a memorial service, where both Protestant and Catholic clergy were involved, at a monument in Derry's Bogside.

But the majority of the families refused to take part in a subsequent march that retraced the route of the ill-fated demonstration where British paratroopers killed 14 civil rights marchers on January 30 1972.

A public inquiry by Lord Saville declared all the victims to be innocent, prompting an apology from Prime Minister David Cameron in 2010.

And while many of the families are pressing for the prosecution of the soldiers involved, most of them decided to end the annual march they led for 39 years, arguing they had been vindicated by the Saville findings.

Kate and Linda Nash, whose teenage brother William was killed on Bloody Sunday, opted to continue the march.

Kate said the march should remain an annual event to help lobby for other bereaved families seeking justice.

"I am delighted with the turnout," she said.

"But even if it had just been myself and my sister, we would still have a right to march. That is democracy. We are going to continue to march for prosecutions, but beyond that, this is a unique march and it should continue for all those who are seeking justice."

Estimates suggested the march attracted more than 1,000 people, but the organisers believed the figure was higher.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph