Belfast Telegraph

Bog to be searched for 'Disappeared' Brendan Megrew

By Rebecca Black

Information given by a member of the public is to lead to a fresh search for the remains of one of the Disappeared.

Young father-to-be Brendan Megraw was abducted by the IRA from his west Belfast home in 1978 before he was murdered and secretly buried at a remote bog in Oristown, Co Meath.

Unsuccessful searches for the 22-year-old's remains were called off in 2011.

But now fresh information has sparked a new survey at an area of the bog which was not previously examined. It will start next Wednesday.

Mr Megraw's youngest brother Kieran, who was just 18 when his sibling disappeared, said the family were extremely grateful for the new information.

"New information had come into the commission (The Independent Commission for the Location of Victims' Remains), we don't know what that information was, but based on that a case was put forward for carrying out the survey which is due to start next Wednesday," he told the Belfast Telegraph.

He added that he thought two services held in Meath last year helped to increase awareness.

"It's great. Last September we had a service led by Bishop Michael (Smith) of Meath down at the site. There was a lot of people there from the local community. Then we had a Mass down there in November in the local parish church.

"So things like that tend to increase the awareness of the fact that Brendan is buried there." Sandra Peake of WAVE Trauma Centre, who has worked with the families of the Disappeared since 1995, said she hoped an Australian documentary team who are currently filming a programme here might help spark fresh information from the other side of the world.

"The news that work is to start again in the search for Brendan is very encouraging," she said.

"The fact that there is a documentary team from Australia talking to the families and telling their stories to an audience at the other side of the world shows that this is a humanitarian story of global significance.

"It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that there is someone in Australia who left Ireland many years ago who knows something about the Disappeared."

She added the relatives of the Disappeared help to support each other like a family as searches went on.

Story so far

Brendan Megraw (22) was a recently married man with his first baby on the way when he was abducted from his home in Twinbrook by the IRA. His abducters had been at his flat since 8.25am that day waiting for him. They injected his pregnant wife with a substance from a syringe as they waited for him to return. Mr Megraw went with the men, saying he had nothing to hide.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph