Belfast Telegraph

Borough’s racist attacks condemned

Last week’s attacks on cars in the Fernagh area of Newtownabbey have been condemned.

Two cars were set alight outside the homes of an Indian family and a Filipino family in the early hours of Tuesday morning (June 22) in what police are treating as racially-motivated hate crimes.

Chair of Newtownabbey Good Relations Partnership, Mukesh Sharma, said: “This is totally unacceptable behaviour that has a detrimental effect on victims and the borough as a whole.

“These families have been living in Newtownabbey and making a valuable contribution to the local community and do not deserve to be targeted in this manner. It is essential that communities unite and work to put a stop to this sort of hate crime.”

Newtownabbey Mayor Alderman Paula Bradley also condemned the attacks and added: “My thoughts are with the families whose property has been damaged and those families who have suffered awful distress from seeing the incidents unfold outside their homes.”

She said she had visited some of the families in the area and was encouraged by the help and support that the local community is offering them.

“We do not want this type of behaviour in our borough,” she said.

“The families who have been traumatised by this incident have chosen to live and work in Newtownabbey and the majority of our residents are very welcoming to those who choose to make a new life in our borough.

“I hope that the culprits can be identified and prosecuted.

“I urge anyone with any information regarding the incident to contact the PSNI in Newtownabbey.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph