Boy (12) escapes injury in petrol bomb attack on Ballymena house
A 12-year-old boy was among four people who escaped injury following a petrol bomb attack on a house in Ballymena.
It happened in the Alfred Street Place area of the town in the early hours of Friday morning.
Three adults and a 12-year-old boy were in the house at the time but were not injured. A window in the house was smashed and scorch damage caused to an exterior wall.
North Antrim DUP MLA Paul Frew said the attack had shocked the local community and he was thankful there had been noinjuries.
He said: "This attack has caused a great deal of shock to the family involved and the wider community of Ballymena. Thankfully nobody was injured in this attack, but we could have a very different story emerging from this area today.
"I understand the family were at home during the time of the incident, which caused extensive damage to the kitchen. Gas pipes were also damaged and could have caused loss of life.
"I know many in the community including myself, cannot understand why this family home has been targeted in this way. This is a close knit community and one which does not want to have this type on activity taking place in Ballymena. There is no place in society for actions like this and those responsible should be brought before the courts.
"I utterly condemn this attack and will be supporting the family as best I can. I would ask anyone with any information to contact and assist the Police.”
Detective Chief Inspector Dunny McCubbin said: “Anyone who saw anything suspicious in the early hours of the morning should contact detectives at Ballymena on the non-emergency police number 101, quoting reference 147 of 21/4/17.
“Alternatively, if you would prefer to provide information without giving your details, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers and speak to them anonymously on 0800 555 111.”