Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Brothers attacked at Belfast band parade

By Chris McCullough

Published 22/06/2015

Heavily armed police and paramedics at the scene of the attack in the Sandy Row area of Belfast
Heavily armed police and paramedics at the scene of the attack in the Sandy Row area of Belfast

A man who went to watch a loyalist band parade on Saturday night was hospitalised after he and his brother were the victims of a vicious attack.

One of the brothers has been named locally as Daniel Kelly, who lives on Sandy Row in Belfast and sustained the more serious injuries of the two.

He was yesterday described as being in a stable condition at the Royal Victoria Hospital.

The brothers are no longer in hospital.

The two brothers, who are understood to be in their twenties, were attacked at around 9.30pm on the Donegall Road.

It happened during an annual parade hosted by the Ulster First Flute Band in the predominantly loyalist area of the city.

Ukip representative Bob Stoker said: "It seems the young men became embroiled in an altercation with followers of a band from outside the area.

"People coming to watch band parades need to realise they are guests of the community they are visiting and need to show respect for the area they are in.

"One of the brothers received serious injuries and is now in an induced coma in hospital to try and relieve some of the swelling from the attack.

"When his brother went in to help, he too was attacked and hit over the head with a bottle.

"From what I can gather, the young lad in hospital lives on Sandy Row and is a very quiet, respected man.

"Thankfully, the police were on the scene fairly quickly.

Officers took a parked car away from the area for forensic examination after reports that one of the victims and his attackers were thrown onto the vehicle during the incident.

"There is CCTV coverage in the area the incident happened, so hopefully the police can identify those responsible and bring them to justice," Mr Stoker said. "Even though the young lad is now stable, our thoughts go to the family during this hard time."

Social media was a hive of activity following the incident, with some people suggesting that one of the men had been attacked with a bottle.

The Belfast Telegraph contacted the parade hosts, the Ulster First Flute Band, but there was no response.

Police in south Belfast are appealing for witnesses to the attack.

Detective Sergeant Kenneth Leckey said: "One of the males sustained a serious head injury.

"The second male sustained facial injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening.

"The assault occurred whilst a band parade was taking place in the area.

"It is understood that the two males are brothers, and I would appeal to anyone who was in this area and witnessed the assault to contact police on the non-emergency number, 101, or alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."

A police spokesperson confirmed that they were not treating the incident as sectarian.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph