Bus firm denies sick pensioner was left at stop without any aid
Translink has denied that an elderly passenger was taken off a Belfast Metro service and left at a bus stop after he became ill.
Fellow passenger Colleen Lavery told the BBC that the incident happened last Friday, adding that she was disgusted at the way the elderly man had been treated.
"I couldn't believe what I was seeing, the man clearly needed medical assistance and I assumed the driver would call an ambulance," she told the BBC.
"I went back to the man, who didn't know where he was, and was vomiting.
"He was in no state to be left alone, so I called the ambulance."
But last night Translink said an internal investigation had established that the man had been offered assistance, but that he refused further medical aid offered by staff.
"We have now completed our investigation into the alleged claims regarding an elderly passenger who took ill on a 1F Metro service last week (Friday, December 9)," the transport company said.
"The driver and another member of staff became aware of the gentleman's distress and took steps to get him off the busy, crowded bus.
"After offering him some care and assistance, the man appeared to feel better and refused any further medical assistance. We take the safety and welfare of our customers very seriously and are satisfied that all procedures were followed to ensure the welfare of this customer."