Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 7 October 2015

Carbon monoxide: don’t rely on detectors alone

Published 17/08/2010

Householders have been urged by a leading safety charity not to rely solely on carbon monoxide detectors to prevent carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) in Northern Ireland said it has taken many questions on gas safety since two teenagers died of carbon monoxide poisoning at a holiday flat on the North Antrim coast on August 3.

Ita McErlean, RoSPA’s home safety manager for Northern Ireland, said: “There are other important safety steps.

“If you have gas appliances, have them serviced annually by a gas engineer registered with Gas Safe Register. Check the back of the engineer’s ID card to see whether they are covered for the type of job you need doing.

“And remember — CO is not just a by-product of the burning of gas, but of all fossil fuels. Therefore, if you have wood, coal or oil burning appliances, have these regularly serviced by professionals too.

“Also, keep rooms adequately ventilated, never block air vents and have chimneys and flues swept regularly”.

From the web

Sponsored Videos

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph