Belfast Telegraph

Carbon monoxide suspected in death of man at restaurant

By Lesley-Anne Henry

Police say a man found dead at a Chinese restaurant may have succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The victim, believed to be Malaysian and aged in his early 20s, is thought to have been overcome with fumes from a petrol- powered generator in a shed at the rear of the premises in Co Fermanagh.

He was found inside the shed at the back of the China Star takeaway on Irvinestown’s Main Street at about 2.30pm yesterday.

It is understood there had been power supply problems to the outhouse and the man was found collapsed when someone went to investigate why the generator had turned itself off.

If confirmed, it would be the third fume-related death in the Co Fermanagh town in recent weeks.

Earlier this month estate agent Killian Scallon and his wife Pauline died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

PSNI Inspector Roy Robinson said: “Because of the generator running in the building it looks like it could be carbon monoxide poisoning, but we have to wait on the forensic report to establish the cause of death.”

The Health and Safety Executive has confirmed it is investigating and last night the scene remained sealed off. No one from the restaurant was available to speak about the tragedy yesterday and last night police were still trying to trace the man’s family.

Meanwhile, in a statement, the PSNI said: “Police are investigating the cause of death of a man in Irvinestown, Co Fermanagh.

“Shortly before 2.30pm, police received a report that a man had collapsed at Main Street. His body was discovered by an ambulance crew. There will be a full forensic examination of the scene.”

Last night, Sinn Féin MP for Fermanagh South Tyrone Michelle Gildernew said the grim news of this latest tragedy had shocked the entire community once again.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph