Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Cat burned at Parkhall Eleventh Night bonfire in Co Antrim

'Instead of going and getting the cat off it, they poured the petrol round it and lit it'

Published 12/07/2016

"They sat and cursed and said a load of bad things when the cat was on the bonfire, whenever there were kids and adults telling them to get the cat off the bonfire"

A family's pet cat has been badly burned at an Eleventh Night bonfire in Antrim's Parkhall estate, its owner has said.

Daryl McGreevy said his partner was told that spectators had noticed their cat Kitty was on the bonfire before it was lit.

Mr McGreevy said that despite people pleading for the bonfire to be delayed on Monday night, petrol was poured on and it was set alight.

He told the BBC: "My partner got in contact with a couple of her friends and they said that people had seen the cat on the bonfire before they poured the petrol on it and instead of going and getting the cat off it, they poured the petrol round it and lit it.

"She's really badly burned. We have to wait a day or two to see - because she's a fully black cat - how her ears and her skin and her paws are.

"I actually went up this morning just to clarify that the cat was ours and she was in a bad state. They said in a few days time they'll know what's actually going to happen with her."

Distraught

Mr McGreevy said his partner is distraught about the incident and that they have chosen not to tell their children to save them from distress.

"If it had been a dog on the bonfire they would have got up and got the dog down. It just happens to have been a cat and not one of them gets up to get it.

"They sat and cursed and said a load of bad things when the cat was on the bonfire, whenever there were kids and adults telling them to get the cat off the bonfire."

Kitty is treated for the injuries she sustained at the bonfire
Kitty is treated for the injuries she sustained at the bonfire

The cat is still alive and is being treated by a vet for its injuries.

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph