Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Charge of directing terrorism against Kevin O'Neill is dropped

By Alan Erwin

Published 01/08/2015

An alleged dissident republican is no longer to be charged with directing terrorism, the High Court heard
An alleged dissident republican is no longer to be charged with directing terrorism, the High Court heard

An alleged dissident republican is no longer to be charged with directing terrorism, the High Court heard.

Kevin O'Neill's lawyer claimed he should now be released on bail because the gravity of the case against him has diminished.

O'Neill is among four Belfast men facing charges related to an investigation into alleged paramilitary offences.

The 59-year-old, of Coolnasilla Park South in the city, had been accused of both IRA membership and directing terrorist activities of the organisation.

The alleged offences, on dates between December 2013 and June 2014, are linked to a covert police surveillance operation.

O'Neill renewed his bid to be released from custody based on the delay in the case.

A judge was told a preliminary enquiry to establish if the defendants have a case to answer is set to take place next week.

But defence counsel Jon Paul Shields contended that it will be early 2016 before any trial gets under way.

He said there could be 150 witnesses in proceedings, which may take up to four weeks.

The case against all four defendants relates to voice recordings, the court heard.

According to Mr Shiels, the arguments for bail have been strengthened by a decision to drop the directing terrorism charge.

"On the previous occasion there was a leadership role," he said. "That charge no longer appears on the charges for him to be returned to the Crown Court."

The barrister added: "There's been a dilution in relation to the charges this applicant now faces."

Mr Justice Maguire adjourned the case until August 11 when a full bail application will be heard.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph