Belfast Telegraph

Chef still critical after accidentally drinking what is believed to be oven cleaner while working in Belfast restaurant

By Claire Williamson and Rebecca Black

A chef remains in a critical condition after accidentally drinking what is believed to be oven cleaner while working in a Belfast restaurant.

Sean Slane (40) was working at Goodfellas in west Belfast on Sunday when he picked up what he thought was a bottle of water.

Mr Slane, who lives near the Falls Road, was rushed to the Royal Victoria Hospital.

The incident happened at Goodfellas pizzeria in Kennedy Way after he picked up a branded drink bottle.

A neighbour of Mr Slane said she was shocked and horrified at the "tragic incident".

West Belfast MP Paul Maskey described the incident as a tragic accident.

"My thoughts and sympathy are with this individual and I hope he makes a full recovery from it," the Sinn Fein politician said.

Friends have posted their support for the chef on Twitter, saying they hope he pulls through.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph