Belfast Telegraph

Children hurt after gas cylinder explodes

Five children were taken to hospital with burns yesterday after a gas cylinder exploded when rubbish was set alight in Newtownabbey.

The victims, aged 11 or 12, received burns to their faces, necks and hands - some described as major - in the explosion near a former library in Rathcoole.

The Fire and Rescue Service, along with police and paramedics, attended the scene shortly after 4.15pm and first aid was administered.

The services were alerted after a woman in the area reported hearing a bang and what sounded like a "child yelling", a spokesman said.

The children denied having lit the fire that burst the gas cylinder. A Fire and Rescue service spokesman warned young people should never tamper or take risks with fire. The former library is at Rosslea Way near to the location of a new library.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph