Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Circus families treated by paramedics in fire scare

By Claire McNeilly

Published 07/05/2015

A health and safety investigation has been launched after circus-goers - including children - were caught up in a suspected fire at a show last weekend
A health and safety investigation has been launched after circus-goers - including children - were caught up in a suspected fire at a show last weekend

A health and safety investigation has been launched after circus-goers - including children - were caught up in a suspected fire at a show last weekend.

Thirty people were treated by paramedics for breathing in fumes during the incident which lasted for almost two hours on Saturday.

Ambulances and fire appliances were called to the scene in Carrickfergus, Co Antrim, following reports that members of the audience could smell smoke. Yesterday a Mid and East Antrim Borough Council spokesman announced a probe into the emergency at the Daredevil Circus.

A fire service spokesman said a fire was quickly ruled out, while a generator inside the marquee was isolated by officers.

"Upon arrival, it was determined that there wasn't a fire but a generator inside a circus tent that was causing the fumes. The generator was turned off and people were treated at the scene."

Joanne McIlwaine, her husband and two children aged six and eight left at the interval saying they "couldn't see" and could smell smoke.

"We physically couldn't sit any more, the water was streaming from our eyes. The two kids said they could smell it and said their eyes were sore too."

Daredevil Circus left Carrickfergus on Sunday.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph