Belfast Telegraph

Co Antrim house fire claims life of elderly woman

By Michael McHugh

An elderly woman has died in a house fire in Co Antrim.

The victim, aged in her late 70s, was rescued by the Fire and Rescue Service from an end terrace two-storey property in Greenland Walk, Larne, early yesterday.

Crews carried her from the property and performed first aid before paramedics arrived but she died at the scene.

The cause of the blaze is believed to be accidental, a Fire Service statement said.

Two fire appliances from Larne and one from Ballyclare were sent to the blaze shortly before 6am.

Crews dealt with a fire in an upstairs bedroom, which was dealt with by 7.50am.

East Antrim MLA Stewart Dickson said: “I was deeply saddened to hear of the death of this woman. I would like to express my condolences to her family and friends.

“Her death has highlighted the dangers of house fires, so I would urge everybody to check that their smoke detectors are working properly.

“I would also like to pay tribute to our Fire and Rescue Service personnel who risk their lives on a daily basis.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph