Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

College canteen worker hurt by exploding fridge

By Angela Rainey

Published 13/04/2016

Emergency services outside the college where the fridge exploded
Emergency services outside the college where the fridge exploded

Health and safety experts have been called to investigate an incident at a Londonderry college after a member of staff was injured by an exploding fridge.

The female canteen worker sustained minor injuries after a refrigerator unit blew at North West Regional College (NWRC) yesterday morning.

Part of the college on the Strand Road was evacuated at about 8.30am after the explosion in the Tower canteen.

Three fire engines from the Northern Ireland Fire Service (NIFRS) attended the scene and said gas monitors were used to assess whether there had been a leak in the canteen, while firefighters isolated the power and ventilated the area.

In a statement, the NWRC said it was due to "a failure in one of the aisle chilling units in the Tower canteen".

"One member of staff was taken to A&E for minor injuries sustained during the incident and has subsequently been released.

"The Tower building was reopened at 10.20am. Other buildings in the College's Strand Road campus were not affected."

A spokesman from the Health and Safety Executive NI said: "HSENI is making enquiries about an incident at a college in Derry/Londonderry.

"We are currently liaising with the relevant authorities and have no further comment to make at this stage."

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph