Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Community mourns as OAP dies in blaze at his Cookstown home

By Allan Preston

Published 16/11/2016

The house in Cookstown in which a Victor Wilson died following a fire
The house in Cookstown in which a Victor Wilson died following a fire

Tributes have been paid to a Cookstown pensioner who was found dead at his home after a fire yesterday morning.

The victim, who was in his 80s, has been named locally as Victor Wilson. Police were alerted to the fire in his Lissan Road home at 9.50am but found the pensioner already dead at the scene.

The fire is not believed to be suspicious and an investigation is under way.

A spokeswoman from the Fire and Rescue service said: "No firefighting action was taken. There were signs of a fire within the property which had burnt itself out before the arrival of the emergency services."

Ulster Unionist councillor, Trevor Wilson, passed on his condolences to the family.

"It's a very big shock," he said.

"He had moved into the area a few years ago and it was terrible news, especially to the neighbours and his family and friends."

"I know the fire was at the back of the house and extinguished before the fire brigade arrived. Unfortunately, Victor was already dead.

"My thoughts and prayers are with the family at this particular time."

Ulster Unionist MLA, Sandra Overend, said: "I was incredibly saddened to learn of the death of the pensioner in Cookstown on Tuesday morning.

"Each death is a tragedy, and this one is no different and his loss will be felt by his family circle, as well as the wider Cookstown community.

She added: "This tragic news also serves as a sad reminder of the dangers of fire in our homes and the need to take preventive measures."

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph