Belfast Telegraph

Cover-up fear warning in OTRs probe

A government official's refusal to appear before a probe into the On The Runs (OTRs) scheme for fugitive IRA members will fuel fears of a cover up, an MP said.

A Northern Ireland Office (NIO) civil servant who signed a letter which led to the collapse of the IRA Hyde Park bombing prosecution is not expected to give evidence to the department's scrutiny committee on Wednesday despite being officially summoned, members of the scrutiny body said.

Under the last Labour government the NIO ran a scheme formulated at the request of Sinn Fein which saw about 200 letters sent to republicans assuring them they were not being pursued by the UK authorities.

Committee member Ian Paisley, MP for North Antrim, said the wrangle over grilling the official had set up a battle between Parliament and government, noting the outcome of the British Civil War over sovereignty.

"It started with the king losing his head, it is not the place where any of us want to be. It gives off an awful pong."

He added the public wanted reassurance about official openness and appealed for the official and a colleague, who were involved in running the scheme under ministerial direction, to come forward.

"If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it is a duck and if it walks like a conspiracy and talks like a conspiracy then it is a conspiracy.

"Those officials will only add fuel to flames, that there is a conspiracy by the Northern Ireland Office to conceal something or someone or some action."

The committee launched its investigation after John Downey was released last year.

A judge halted his prosecution over the murders of four soldiers in 1982 after it was found he had received one of the letters in error.

Household Cavalry Lieutenant Anthony "Denis" Daly, 23, died in the explosion in Hyde Park on July 20 1982 alongside Trooper Simon Tipper, 19, Lance Corporal Jeffrey Young, 19, and 36-year-old Squadron Quartermaster Corporal Roy Bright.

The senior civil servant at the NIO, permanent secretary Sir Jonathan Stevens, said an official report into the affair commissioned by the Prime Minister and chaired by a senior judge had not criticised individuals from his department and added fears of a cover up had been addressed.

"This was one of the reasons why the Secretary of State asked a Lord Justice of Appeal to undertake full consideration of the issues."

He said one of Lady Justice Hallett's skills was examining evidence.

"Hallett did not criticise any named official in the NIO, I would hope that would be reassurance that there is not a conspiracy to hide."

He added there was something of a dilemma for officials between a summons to an individual and the fact that he was only able to appear on behalf of a minister.

He added the NIO was acting on information provided by others.

"Clearly the letter was sent in error, Mr Downey should not have received that."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph