Craigavon shooting: Man critical after being shot in head in 'orchestrated and carefully planned' attack
'It is long past time that criminal and paramilitary activity ended for good'
Police said a shooting on a Craigavon home, which left a man fighting for his life after being shot in the head, was "orchestrated and carefully planned".
Detectives believe an automatic rifle was used and at least 20 shots fired in the attack on the Carrigart Crescent home in the early hours of Monday, February 13.
The 31-year-old victim was in the room at the time and rushed to hospital for treatment.
No-one else was in the house at the time.
PSNI Chief Inspector Jon Burrows described the attack as "very orchestrated and carefully planned".
Police said they are working to establish a motive and continue to appeal for information following the incident.
Detective Inspector Stephen Harvey from the PSNI’s reactive and Organised Crime Branch said: "At approximately 1.45am, at least 20 shots were fired, possibly from an automatic weapon, into the front living room window of the house. The man, who was in the house alone at the time, was taken to hospital for treatment to his injuries.
"At this stage we believe that those responsible had carefully planned this attack. A silver Skoda Octavia, which had been stolen in Dublin in December 2016, and which was bearing false registration plates, was found burnt out shortly after the attack just over a mile away in the New Line area of Lurgan.
"We believe that this vehicle may have been involved in this incident and are keen to trace it’s movements in the time leading up to the shooting.
"We are working to establish a motive for the attack and I would ask anyone with any information about the incident itself or any ongoing issues in the area to contact detectives in Lurgan on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference number 64 of 13/02/17. Information can also be given anonymously through the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."
Sinn Fein's John O'Dowd condemned the attack.
Mr O'Dowd said: "The community as a whole will be shocked and concerned that guns have been brought on the streets.
"I would encourage anyone with information on this incident to contact the PSNI."
Ulster Unionist Party's Doug Beattie said: "I unreservedly condemn last night’s shooting in the Carrigart Crescent area of Craigavon in which 20 shots were fired into a house and a man was critically injured.
"There is no excuse or reason for anyone to be carrying or using weapons. It is long past time that criminal and paramilitary activity ended for good, and that no community in Northern Ireland has to live in fear of the law of the gun.
"I would ask anyone who saw anything suspicious in the Carrigart area of Craigavon in the early hours of Monday morning to contact the police immediately and to help them remove a dangerous criminal gang from our midst.2