Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Daughter had urged fire death dad Anthony McFeely not to cook after drinking

By Joanne Sweeney

Published 24/11/2015

Anthony McFeely died in a blaze at his home
Anthony McFeely died in a blaze at his home

A chip pan fire claimed the life of a 46-year-old Londonderry man despite a warning from his daughter not to cook when he had been drinking, an inquest has heard.

Anthony Paul McFeely was found to have been "moderately intoxicated" at the time of his death, which may have made it more difficult for him to escape from the kitchen fire.

The unemployed electrician died from smoke inhalation from an accidental fire that broke out in his house at Upper Bennett Street in the city in the early hours of the morning.

It's believed the father-of-11 was trying to fry sausages in the chip pan.

His death was only discovered hours later when his former partner and his daughter separately went to his house to check on him, as he had not been in contact.

Coroner Suzanne Anderson heard evidence from the pathologist that carbon monoxide was found in Mr McFeely's bloodstream, which causes drowsiness and then a lack of co-ordination before the person slips into unconsciousness.

Mr McFeely's former girlfriend Patricia Curly and a friend discovered his body in the living room of his soot-covered house on Saturday, November 16, 2014.

The inquest heard that Ms Curly put her arms around him, hugged him and tried to wake him up.

His daughter Ciara McFeely arrived soon afterwards.

The PSNI and Fire Service attended the scene, but no action was taken as the blaze was already out.

Daniel McLaughlin, a friend of Mr McFeely, was the last person to see him alive.

He told the Belfast inquest that they had been out drinking in a pub on the Friday.

Mr McFeely - who was known to friends as 'Montana' - drank seven to eight bottles of Guinness before they left to go home at around 2am on the Saturday morning.

Mr McFeely had mentioned making something to eat when he got home, and promised to meet up the next afternoon to place some bets.

However, throughout the next day his daughter and former partner began to text and Facebook message him from early on to check if he was all right, as it was unlike him not to be in touch with them.

Ms McFeely told the inquest that her father was a heavy drinker, but had tried to stop a few months before he died.

She had asked him several times before not to cook when he was drinking, as she had found burnt-out pans before in his kitchen.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph