David Healy assault case set to proceed
An assault charge against Northern Ireland football star David Healy is to proceed, it was confirmed today.
Prosecutors said they were pressing ahead with the case after a judge suggested it should be reviewed.
Healy, from Killyleagh, Co Down, is accused of attacking a man in Belfast city centre in May last year.
The 33-year-old former Manchester United and Glasgow Rangers striker, who was most recently released by Bury FC, denies the charge and is set to claim self-defence.
He attended Belfast Magistrates' Court last Friday to contest the assault allegation against him.
But the hearing was put back amid attempts by the defence to have a previous incident involving the alleged victim introduced.
Details were held on a police file which was not immediately available.
Adjourning the case at the time, Deputy District Judge Joe Rice suggested senior Public Prosecution Service representatives should review the viability of continuing with the case.
Healy, Northern Ireland's record international goalscorer, was not in court today for the latest update.
A PPS lawyer confirmed the police file has now been retrieved and shown to the defence.
She added that a decision has been taken to proceed with the case.
Two civilian witnesses and a police officer are expected to give evidence on behalf of the prosecution.
Defence barrister Richard McConkey referred briefly to disclosure issues which he claimed backed the footballer's case.
"I'm going to ask formally again if the Crown could review this prosecution," he said.
The case was adjourned again until next month.
Belfast Telegraph Digital