'Death threat' to teen accused of axe attack horror
A teenager accused of plunging an axe into his uncle's back has been warned his life may be under threat, the High Court has heard.
Police fear for the safety of Sean Paul Fitzsimmons if he was to be released from custody, prosecutors said.
The 18-year-old trainee joiner, also known as Sean Paul Lynch, is charged with the attempted murder of Christopher Daniel 'Gus' Lynch during a family fight in Downpatrick.
His 42-year-old father Martin Lynch, the alleged victim's brother, is also accused of involvement in the attack last week.
Fitzsimmons, of Carraig View in the town, was refused bail due to the risk of any further offences being committed.
Police were first called out on July 1 after trouble flared during a party at the home he shares with his mother and father, the court heard.
Gus Lynch had allegedly been chased out by his brother and nephew, armed with baseball bats, after Fitzsimmons struck him on the head with a beer can.
According to Stephanie Boyd, prosecuting, Gus Lynch received hospital treatment for a head wound before signing himself out. He returned to the accused's home where a second confrontation took place outside, the court heard. Mrs Boyd claimed that as the two brothers grappled in the street Fitzsimmons appeared to swipe at Gus Lynch's back.
"When he (Gus) got to the car it was realised that he had an axe sticking out of his back," the barrister said.
Police found him in the back of the vehicle with the weapon embedded in his back.
Having been taken back to hospital to have the axe removed, he is due to be released soon.
Fitzsimmons faces further charges of criminal damage to the car, possession of an offensive weapon with intent to commit an indictable offence, and common assault.
Opposing his application for bail, Mrs Boyd said: "Police are concerned there is a serious threat on Sean Fitzsimmons life and they have warned him of that."
Bail was refused.