Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Diner who choked in Northern Ireland restaurant remains critical

By Lisa Smyth

Published 16/12/2015

A man left fighting for his life after choking on his meal at a popular restaurant was given first aid by an-off duty doctor at the scene, it is understood
A man left fighting for his life after choking on his meal at a popular restaurant was given first aid by an-off duty doctor at the scene, it is understood

A man left fighting for his life after choking on his meal at a popular restaurant was given first aid by an-off duty doctor at the scene, it is understood.

The man is believed to have been enjoying Christmas celebrations with colleagues at the Ramore Wine Bar in Portrush on Friday night when he began to choke.

Despite the intervention, the victim remained in the intensive care unit at Causeway Hospital in Coleraine last night.

A spokeswoman for the Northern Health and Social Care Trust described his condition as "critical".

Staff at the eatery are said to be devastated over the accident.

Paramedics were called to the restaurant shortly before 9pm on Friday.

A spokesman for the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service said crews received a call that a man was unconscious but breathing at the restaurant.

But on their arrival, paramedics had to work to get him breathing again.

The Ramore Wine Bar is one of the most popular restaurants on the north coast, and it is not uncommon for customers to queue out of the door while waiting for a table.

With stunning views overlooking the harbour, it is famous for its lively atmosphere, as well as the size of the desserts served up there.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph