Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Dorrian family 'will never stop give up on finding Lisa'

By Rebecca Black

Published 23/02/2016

Lisa Dorrian
Lisa Dorrian
Lisa Dorrian
Police have been undertaking fresh searches for the body of Lisa Dorrian, who disappeared almost 11 years ago (PSNI)
Lisa Dorrian has been missing since February 2005 (PSNI/PA)
Police undertake fresh searches for the body of Lisa Dorrian in Comber, Co Down, yesterda

Lisa Dorrian's family have vowed to campaign every day until they can lay their precious daughter and sister to rest.

They spoke out yesterday as the latest police search for the missing Bangor woman finished without finding her remains.

Lisa's sister Joanne told the Belfast Telegraph on behalf of her family that while disappointed by the search outcome, they are confident in the PSNI investigation, and believe she will be found one day.

A statement released by the Dorrian family to the Belfast Telegraph said: "Whilst we are so disappointed and saddened that the search didn't find Lisa we are confident in the investigation and its ability to find Lisa in the future.

"The people responsible for hiding my sister's body should know that we will never give up on Lisa and finding her.

"She is too precious to us and our lovely memories of her get us through every day without her.

"We will campaign until the day she is found and can be laid to rest with our mum."

Lisa was 25 years old when she went missing on February 28, 2005.

She disappeared after a party at a caravan park in Ballyhalbert on the Ards peninsula.

Her body has yet to be found but police believe she was murdered.

Loyalist paramilitaries are believed to be responsible.

The investigation into Lisa's disappearance has included the identification of more than 4,000 witnesses, encompassing statements from 571 people, 275 searches and eight arrests.

The Dorrian family has offered a £10,000 reward for information that will uncover her whereabouts.

The Crimestoppers charity offered an additional £5,000 reward for information last year.

But as the 11th anniversary of Lisa's disappearance looms next Sunday, no trace of her has ever been found.

Her mother Patricia (59) led a heartrending campaign to find her daughter but tragically died in December.

New searches for Lisa started last week at land off the Newtownards Road on the outskirts of Comber.

It is believed the hunt was based on information given to the PSNI by three different sources - including two loyalists as well as convicted murderer Jimmy Seales who told our sister newspaper the Sunday Life that he believes he knows where she is buried.

However, after a week-long search the PSNI announced yesterday that no human remains were found. A number of items have been removed for further examination.

Detective Chief Inspector Justyn Galloway, from the PSNI's Serious Crime Branch, said his team's inquiries will continue.

He has reissued his appeal for information.

"We would again appeal to those individuals who know what happened to Lisa to provide that information," said Mr Galloway.

"This would enable Lisa's family to have some degree of closure as they face another anniversary of her disappearance in the coming days without the answers they so desperately crave and deserve."

Lisa is survived by her father John and sisters Joanne, Michelle and Ciara.

Anyone with information can contact detectives on the non-emergency PSNI number 101 or through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Eleven years of anguish

February 28, 2005 - Lisa Dorrian attends a party at a caravan park in Ballyhalbert on the Ards Peninsula. She is never seen again.

Extensive air, water and land searches take place around Ballyhalbert, including the use of underwater search teams. A caravan is removed for examination and a number of premises across Co Down searched.

March 2005 - Two men questioned by police over Lisa's disappearance are released without charge.

Graffiti appears in Ballyhalbert accusing the LVF of being responsible for Lisa's disappearance.

Police say they are treating Lisa's disappearance as murder and return to the caravan park for further searches and interviews.

April 2005 - Dorrian family offer a £10,000 award for information that will lead to Lisa being found.

May 2005 - The LVF claims it was not involved in Lisa's disappearance.

Lisa's mother Patricia tells BBC Spotlight that she would be prepared to meet loyalists if it helped find her daughter.

June 2005 - Yellow ribbons launched as part of the campaign to find Lisa.

July 2005 - Prime Minister Tony Blair pledges his support for the campaign to find Lisa.

September 2005 - Detectives appeal to boat owners on the Ards peninsula to help them search for Lisa, revealing in a TV appeal on the BBC's Crimewatch programme that they believe she may have been hidden in water.

November 4, 2005 - Hundreds attend a church service in Ballyholme in memory of Lisa.

December 2005 - The Dorrian family launch a website dedicated to their campaign to find Lisa.

February 2006 - Police say they believe Lisa's body was moved from its original burial location to a new one, possibly at sea.

Three men are arrested and questioned by police, but they are released without charge.

August 2006 - Snow Patrol state their support for the Dorrian family. Bangor born frontman Gary Lightbody meets the family.

September 2006 - Cinema ad unveiled as part of campaign to find Lisa.

October 2012 - Police search land owned by convicted killer Jimmy Seales in Comber.

February 28, 2015 - The 10-year anniversary of Lisa's disappearance is marked with a fresh appeal by the Dorrian family.

June 2015 - Convicted killer Jimmy Seales tells the Sunday Life that he believes he knows where Lisa is buried.

December 2015 - Lisa's mother Patricia Dorrian (59) dies. North Down MP and friend of the family, Lady Sylvia Hermon, said she died with a broken heart over her lost daughter.

February 15, 2016 - Fresh searches start on land on the Newtownards Road on the outskirts of Comber.

February 22, 2016 - PSNI say no human remains were found during their search, however they have removed a number of items for forensic examination.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph