Down mum's warning after seaside trip leaves baby boy badly sunburnt
Mother put sunblock on baby but failed to reapply it when weather turned bad.
A young Northern Ireland mother whose baby was badly sunburnt on a day out has warned other parents of the dangers of sunshine.
Alex Dodds (20), from Co Down, took her four-month-old son Jacob for a day at the seaside on August 22.
She put suncream on the child, but failed to reapply it when the weather turned bad.
The following day, blisters and redness started to appear on Jacob's cheeks.
He has since recovered, but the incident left Alex mortified and worried people would think she was a neglectful parent.
"I didn't notice that his little face was all swollen and his eyes were a little sunk until the next day", she said.
"I just wanted to sit and cry. I felt so horrible, and he didn't moan at all, which made me feel even worse.
"It was a cloudy day last month when I decided to go to the seaside. It was hot, but I smothered him in sun cream.
"It was cloudy and the sun was hidden, so my initial thought was, 'It's bloody freezing, so there's no way that Jacob would get burnt'.
"I didn't reapply the sun cream after the recommended one or two hours, and the water must have reflected onto his face. I feel so bad about it."
When Alex noticed the blisters appearing on Jacob's face the following day, she immediately took him to the doctor, where she was given a selection of creams to treat her son's burns.
"I was told the left side of his face would heal without medication, but the right side needed to be treated," she explained.
"I have never heard of any babies who have suffered sunburn like this before, and the sun was behind the clouds as well.
"I thought of not even applying sun cream at all before we left the house. I'm still in shock at the seriousness of my poor baby's face."
"It's a horrible thing to see such a young child burnt and I don't wish it upon anybody. Thankfully, I was given Flamazine cream and sterile water to clean the wound after the blisters had popped. The doctors were really good to me.
"After the whole ordeal I've now been applying sun cream to my baby every time we need to leave the house.
Alex is now warning other mothers to constantly apply sun cream to their babies and keep their faces away from strong winds and sunshine.
She told MailOnline: "I urge mothers to plaster their children in sun cream regardless of whether the sun is out or not. I'm a first-time mum and I'm still learning, but I've definitely learned my lesson on this one.
"I bring a factor 50 bottle of sun cream with me everywhere as I definitely don't want this happening again."