Dramatic night for the Lyric as theatre wins top tourism award
The best of Northern Ireland’s tourism industry has been celebrated at a glittering awards ceremony at Belfast’s Grand Opera House.
More than 300 guests gathered at the city centre venue yesterday evening to hear who had triumphed in the fourth Northern Ireland Tourist Awards.
Tourism Minister Arlene Foster said the winners “set the bar high in terms of quality, customer service and the visitor experience they are delivering”.
Michael McCann, from event sponsor, Diageo Northern Ireland, said it was pleased to support the development of a vibrant tourism sector.
NI Tourist Board chairman Howard Hastings said the industry here has “travelled far over the last number of years”, and has much to celebrate.
He added: “We now have a set of world-class tourism products, totally unique to us, which is all being brought to life right now by a fantastic programme of events in the ni2012 Our Time, Our Place campaign.”
The winners were:
- Outstanding Contribution to Tourism: Lyric Theatre
- Best Event/Festival: Belfast Music Week 2011, Belfast City Council
- Best Visitor Experience: Todd’s Leap
- Hotel Accommodation: The Merchant Hotel
- Marketing and Sales Excellence: Belfast Zoological Gardens
- Taste of Northern Ireland: The Dundrum Inn
- Serviced Accommodation: Causeway Lodge
- Non-Serviced Accommodation: Brookhall Historical Farm
- Visitor Inspired: The Giant’s Causeway Visitor Facility, National Trust
- Partner Initiative: Belmore Court and Motel
- New Tourism Project: The LegenDerry Road Train