Belfast Telegraph

Earl visits patron saint's grave

The grave of Ireland's patron saint was among the first ports of call for the Earl of Wessex during a two-day trip to Northern Ireland.

The Earl, the Queen's youngest son, visited Downpatrick, the medieval capital of Co Down, where St Patrick's remains are buried.

He saw the granite stone that marks the burial spot and signed the visitors' book at Down Cathedral which stands on the site of a former Benedictine monastery built in 1183.

The Earl lunched with tourism chiefs and members of the local community at the St Patrick's Centre.

At the Downpatrick and County Down Railway Museum he unveiled a plaque commemorating the official opening of the carriage viewing gallery before setting off on a restored steam train to Inch Abbey.

Earlier the Earl was welcomed into Belfast's George Best City Airport by Fionnuala Jay-O'Boyle, the new Lord Lieutenant of Belfast.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?


From Belfast Telegraph