Belfast Telegraph

Easter treats are poison to your pet

By Linda Stewart

You may be looking forward to a treat-filled Easter - but don't share your goodies with your pet.

Easter is the busiest time of year for vets dealing with incidents of chocolate poisoning.

The human treat contains theobromine, which if eaten by dogs can seriously affect the heart, central nervous system and kidneys.

Symptoms can occur anywhere between four and 24 hours after a pet has consumed chocolate and can include vomiting, diarrhoea, breathlessness and even seizures.

Hot cross buns are also a definite no-no when it comes to giving pets an Easter treat this weekend, as raisins are toxic to dogs.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph