Belfast Telegraph

Families facing wait for Turkey trial ruling

By Lesley-Anne McKeown

Relatives of two women stabbed to death on holiday in Turkey will have to wait until next month for a verdict in the trial of a father and son charged with the double murder.

Waiter Recep Cetin is accused of killing Marion Graham (54) and her 53-year-old friend Cathy Dinsmore in August 2011. The women were found buried in shallow graves in woods 75 miles outside the popular holiday resort of Kusadasi with multiple knife wounds. Cetin's father Eyup, a taxi driver, is also accused of the murders.

A verdict had been expected yesterday but lawyer Baris Kaska, who is representing relatives of both women, confirmed that the judge has set a new date of October 2 for the final hearing.

Mr Kaska said the judge had accepted a psychiatric report which deemed Recep Cetin sane at the time he was alleged to have stabbed the pair. Cetin's lawyer had challenged the medical report last month.

Mr Kaska said: "The judge has accepted my demand regarding the objection by Recep Cetin's lawyer to the medical report. There is no need to have a second report done."

Relatives of the two women did not travel to Turkey for the brief hearing but are expected to fly out next month.

Recep Cetin has admitted stabbing the women, but claimed his father, who has consistently protested his innocence, was not involved. A key witness has placed both men at the scene.

From his home in Newry, Co Down, Ms Dinsmore's brother George Dinsmore said the family were hopeful the case would conclude soon.

He said: "It has been a long time. When it is over, it is over but it is always in the back of your mind that things could change at any time. But we are happy that things appear to have moved on.

"We are all dealing with a legal system that we are unfamiliar with. Hopefully it will all be sorted on October 2."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph