Belfast Telegraph

Family of five in burning home talked to safety by 999 operator

A family of five were talked to safety out of their burning home on Boxing Day by a 999 operator, fire chiefs have revealed.

The couple and two boys and a girl were trapped for a while in the semi-detached house on the Seacoast Road in Magilligan, Co Londonderry, when the blaze took hold at about 4pm on Monday.

The Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) said an operator at its regional control centre took the emergency call and was able to advise the family on remaining calm and to make their escape.

The blaze started accidentally. It is understood it was caused by a spark from the open fire in the living room.

The family made their way out of the room that was on fire and on to a flat roof on the property from where they made it to safety.

They were all treated at the scene for non-life threatening injuries and were taken to hospital by ambulance, the NIFRS said.

Three fire appliances and a supervisory officer attended the fire which the NIFRS said was "well developed" by the time its crews arrived at the scene.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph