Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Family of Northern Ireland man killed in Scotland face delay in bringing body home

By Claire O'Boyle

The family of a Co Down dad who died in a building site accident in Scotland are desperate to get his remains home.

Lorry driver Conor Morgan was killed last week on a site in Blantyre, South Lanarkshire, but the Scottish authorities have yet to release the body.

SDLP MP Margaret Ritchie said: "I have been in touch with the Scottish Health Minister as well as my contact in the SNP about getting the situation sorted out as quickly as possible as the post-mortem has been held up.

"The family want to get things done properly, to be able to mourn for their husband and father. But without having the body home it is extremely difficult.

"I want to offer any support I can as well as my sympathies to Mr Morgan's widow, his children, his mother and his sisters and brothers.

"It's a very hard time for them, and while they are extremely resilient people, it's very important we get the body brought back so they can get on with the grieving process, organise the funeral and start to deal with what has happened."

The accident happened at around 9.45am on Wednesday as Mr Morgan worked on the site near Shott Farm.

Paramedics fought to save the 45-year-old but he died at the scene.

Mr Morgan was husband to Shirleen and dad to teenage sons Gerard, Anthony and Jason, who all play football for their local GAA team in Kilcoo.

Canon Sean Rogan of St Malachy's Parish said the community was heartbroken.

"Conor was a very hard-working member of the parish," he said.

"We had a 5.30 Mass here on Sunday morning, on Easter Sunday, and Conor was there, and after that he got in his lorry and went off to work. It's so sad, so tragic."

Sinn Fein MLA Chris Hazzard said: "The news of this sudden death has shocked the local community. Conor was very popular and friendly, he was well liked by everybody in the wider Kilcoo area. I would like to extend my sincere condolences to his wife and young family at this tough time."

Mr Morgan, who worked for Newry firm Re-Gen Waste, was working on an Avant Homes construction site when the accident happened.

In a statement Re-Gen said: "It is with much sadness and deep regret that we confirm that our employee Conor Morgan was fatally injured in a tragic accident in Scotland on 19th April 2017. An investigation into what happened is currently under way. We would like to extend our heartfelt sympathies to Conor's family and circle of friends."

Avant Homes said: "Our thoughts and condolences are with his family and loved ones. An investigation was launched immediately and we are assisting the police and Health and Safety Executive with their enquiries.

"As the investigation is ongoing we are unable to provide any further comment, other than to reiterate our deepest sympathies to all affected by this tragic event."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph