Father of man attacked and forced into bin says son was 'left to a long slow death'
The father of a young man found beaten and naked in a wheelie bin in Ballymena has said his son was "left to a long slow death".
Mervyn Robinson said he could "hardly recognise" his 20-year-old son Adam upon first seeing him after he was attacked and forced into a bin last in the Sentry Hill area of the town last week.
Three people appeared in court last week accused of attempted murder.
"When the police called me I hardly recognised our son. He was badly beaten, was cut and bruised, had knife marks all over his body with a footprint on his body," said Mr Robinson.
"The hospital’s main concern was for his liver and his kidneys. His left knee is also in an awful state."
His son was discovered by a passing dog-walker last Tuesday afternoon.
"(He) noticed his dog was barking at something, he found the blue bin taped up wedged below a tree in a secluded area surrounded by nettles and hearing Adam crying out he opened the bin and freed him," he said.
"Adam had been left to a long lonely slow death and our sincere thanks and prayers go out to that man who found him."
"We last spoke to Adam on Monday night at about 7pm when he said he was OK."
Speaking today, Detective Chief Inspector Tracey Mageean appealed for anyone who witnessed the attack to get in touch.
"I believe that people will have seen part this incident take place in the Doury Road, Dunclug or Dunvale areas of Ballymena between late morning and the afternoon of Tuesday September 4," he said.
"There is a young man in hospital being treated for significant injuries following a shocking ordeal. The incident has shocked local people and brought really negative attention to Ballymena."
Belfast Telegraph Digital