Fears grow over spate of attacks in Banbridge
Assault on man and torching of car latest in series of incidents
Concerns have been raised over the growing number of attacks in a Co Down town after a man was hit with a brick in his home.
The victim required hospital treatment for injuries after the brick was thrown through a window at his property in Banbridge.
A petrol bomb was also hurled at a car parked outside the house in The Mews on Iveagh Drive, where many elderly people live.
It follows a number of other incendiary device attacks on cars in the town several weeks ago.
Two "crude" explosives believed to be containers of flammable liquid were placed under two cars at a home in Larchwood Court, while a similar device was discovered at another property just days prior to that attack. Police said they had not yet established a motive for the latest incident, which happened on Wednesday at around 8.30pm.
While a spokesman for the PSNI said there was nothing "at this stage" to connect the attack to those several weeks ago, a number of local representatives said the incidents "added to the sense of concern" in the area.
UUP councillor Ian Burns condemned the violence and said: "The home that was targeted is surrounded by pensioners' homes, and I'm sure it was not only frightening for the family involved but also for all those who live in close proximity. It's something I will raise with the police because they have moved out of the town since September and are in operation from Lurgan and Armagh. It seems strange these things have been on the increase since then."
Ulster Unionist MLA Jo-Anne Dobson also criticised the petrol bomb and brick attack and called the people behind it "callous".
"Those responsible showed no regard whatsoever for the potential of injury or worse to children, young people or anyone else in this quiet area," she added.
Sinn Fein Assembly Member John O'Dowd said that while it was "too early to speculate", the recent attacks added to the "sense of concern" in the community.