Fireworks warning after 13 children injured in Northern Ireland
The Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) has issued safety warnings ahead of Halloween weekend after revealing 13 children and young people were admitted to hospital with firework-related injuries last year.
The NIFRS said that on Halloween night last year, it received 149 calls and attended 113 incidents across Northern Ireland - a rise of 11% - the first in four years.
They also issued a warning over the dangers of children wearing fancy dress costumes near fireworks and open flames.
Assistant group commander, Geoff Somerville, said: "We are asking parents to be aware of the potential dangers of their children wearing fancy dress costumes, either shop bought or home-made.
"Make sure that children are properly supervised at all times - keep them away from fireworks or open flames such as candles, pumpkins with candles in them and bonfires.
"If their costume catches fire, remember stop, drop and roll to quickly extinguish the flames," he added.