Belfast Telegraph

Five men rescued in Lurgan flats blaze drama

Five men have been rescued after a fire at a block of flats in Lurgan.

The blaze, which broke out at a three-storey property on Victoria Street at about 4.30pm yesterday, is believed to have been started when rubbish was set alight in a hallway.

Fire and Rescue Service assistant group commander Aiden Jennings said it was fortunate no one was killed.

“It was a small amount of rubbish but there was the potential for loss of life,” he added.

Meanwhile, a woman and her 13-year-old daughter were taken to hospital after a house fire.

The pair were being treated for the effects of smoke inhalation after escaping from the property at Strathearn Park in Bangor yesterday. Fire crews were called to the scene at about 4pm.

Bangor Station Commander Paul Stobo said crews arrived to find a “well-developed” fire in a first floor bedroom.

Mr Stobo added: “There is nothing to indicate that this was a deliberate fire. It looks like an unfortunate accident.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph