Flasher refused bail after breaching curfew conditions
A serial flasher was refused bail today after he breached his curfew conditions.
A police constable told Belfast Magistrates Court that officers had called at the home of 45-year-old Jason Leonard Shaw at 8.31pm and 11pm but at neither time was the convicted pervert home.
Shaw, whose address is subject to court imposed reporting conditions amid fears that he would face vigilante reprisals, was on bail in relation to multiple allegations of "committing an act of a lewd, obscene and disgusting nature" by exposing his genitals on various dates in August and October last year and April this year.
In total Shaw, who appeared in the dock wearing a white hoodie declaring "this would look good on your bedroom floor," has been charged with indecent exposure 18 times.
In relation to the offence allegedly committed on 19 October last year, the court heard how two women alerted security staff at the campus of Queens University reporting they had spotted a man with a plastic bag over his head but naked from the waist down, leaving them "shocked and distressed."
A prosecuting lawyer told the court: "They were walking on the lower Malone Road opposite Methodist College when they claim to have seen the defendant standing in a gateway with a black plastic bag on his head but no clothing from the waist down and his penis out."
Shaw was detained by the security staff until police arrived to arrest him but during police interviews, he refused to answer officers' questions.
Four years ago in July 2011 Shaw, who has previously exposed himself to young girls and is also subject to a 10 year sexual offences prevention order, was jailed for 18 months for exposing himself in the changing room of a city centre shop and was warned at that stage by Judge Gemma Loughran that if he continued to repeatedly offend, "you will repeatedly be sent back to jail."
On Saturday the officer said police were opposed to Shaw's release as he had breached his bail eight times in the past and had "no confidence of him abiding by bail terms."
His defence solicitor said while Shaw accepted the latest breach, he claimed two men had threatened the pervert as he walked to his south Belfast home so he had "fled in fear and didn't return home until close to midnight."
He submitted that while there had been a "chequered bail history," his strongest point was that Shaw had not committed any further crimes.
District Judge Ken Nixon refused to release Shaw however and remanded him into custody to appear again on 10 September via videolink.