Forty tumble dryers caught fire in Northern Ireland in past three years
11 people were injured as a result
Forty tumble dryers have caught fire in Northern Ireland injuring 11 people, figures have revealed.
The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said the figure was calculated over the past three years, in a statement to the Belfast Telegraph.
A Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said: "There were 11 reports of injuries in 6 of those incidents with no one fatally injured."
It follows warnings from UK Fire Services in November that a number of Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda tumble dryer appliances may pose a fire risk.
Two types of tumble dryers, condenser and vented dryers, manufactured by Indesit, were sold under the three brands in the UK and other countries over the last 11 years.
The firm is in the process of contacting affected consumers, who were warned not to leave their appliances unattended and to clean fluff from the filter after each use.
In "rare" cases a build-up of lint can come into contact with the dryer's heating element, which could pose a fire risk, the manufacturer explained.
Customers can check online if their appliance is among those affected by keying in the model and serial number on the Indesit website.
Earlier this week it was revealed by the Daily Mirror that tumble dryers cause almost one blaze every day across the UK.
Fire Services from across the UK were called to 926 tumble dryer fires between 2011 and 2013, amounting to 309 each year, Freedom of Information data showed.
Hotpoint models accounted for the highest number of dryer-related fires with 410 in the three-year period, the paper added.
Belfast Telegraph Digital