A convicted rapist from Northern Ireland who fled to the Republic has been released on conditional bail by a court in Dublin and warned that he must contact the PSNI within 14 days.
Jobless Edward Connors (19), who currently has an address in Ballyfermot in Dublin, was charged on July 26 with failing to notify gardai of his name, address and date of birth contrary to the Sex Offenders Act 2001.
He was aged 15 when he twice raped a 29-year-old American tourist in Colin Glen forest in west Belfast four years ago.
Afterwards, he fled to Dublin but later gave himself up.
In 2009, he was jailed for eight years; he had spent a year in custody on remand prior to his trial and was released from custody earlier this year after serving four years.
He then again fled to Dublin where he was arrested at Labre Park where he had been staying with one of his aunts on July 25.
Connors consented to being remanded in custody last week but successfully applied for bail when he appeared at Cloverhill District Court in Dublin yesterday.
A garda witness told the judge that the Northern Ireland Public Prosecution Service intends to get a European Arrest Warrant issued for Connors.
A defence lawyer said Connors' father was prepared to stand bail and her client would comply with bail conditions if released.
Contact would also be made with the authorities in Northern Ireland.
Bail was granted with a number of conditions.
Connors was ordered to reside at the Labre Park address, obey a curfew from 10pm to 7am, sign on twice daily at Ballyfermot Garda station and provide confirmation that he has made contact with the PSNI station at Grosvenor Road in Belfast within 14 days from yesterday.
Connors spoke briefly to indicate he understood the terms.
He was warned that his bail would be revoked if he breaks any of the conditions.
He was then released and ordered to appear again in four weeks.