Gasps in court as horrific video shows gang of four shaving the head of vulnerable woman (21)
Horrific video footage of an unconscious vulnerable woman having her eyebrows shaved off and hair set on fire drew audible gasps as it was shown in court.
The disturbing video was seen yesterday as the three men and one woman who took part in the "depraved and sadistic" attack were told they will be sentenced for the incident in the new year.
One of the accused is a 21-year-old woman who is already facing sentence for involvement in a seperate attack on a man found naked, bruised and battered in taped-up wheelie bin.
Paula Wilson, orginially from Millfield, Ballymena, was one of four accused who appeared in Antrim Crown Court, sitting in Craigavon, on charges arising from the scalping, which occurred during a drink and drug-fuelled party in a Co Antrim flat in May last year.
Video footage of the incident which was taken on Wilson's phone was shown to the court and attracted audible gasps. The video, which lasted around 10 minutes, showed the unconscious victim having her eyebrows shaved.
Filmed by Wilson, the footage shows her three co-accused then dry-shave the clearly unconscious woman's head. Using disposable razors, at one stage the footage shows three pairs of hands shaving her hair at the same time.
Part of the woman's hair was also set on fire, with jokes being made by her attackers about setting off the fire alarm.
In the footage Wilson can be heard laughing as she filmed three men dry-shaving the woman's long, dark hair as she lay partially clothed and helpless. When the video was played to the court, all four defendants hung their heads and didn't watch the footage.
In the video, one of the men was heard joking: "Will we just shave the whole head... if you want to baldy her, baldy her."
After her head was shaved and as she lay unconscious on the sofa, four slaps were administered to her head.
The three men in the video are Nathan Telford (21), Wilson Avenue, Ballykeel, Alister William Hamilton (22), Drumtara, and Paul Joshua Balmer (42) from Crosshill View, Kells.
The trio, who are all in custody, and Wilson were told they will be sentenced for their involvement on January 7, 2015. Wilson was granted continued bail but was warned by Judge Donna McColgan she should not take this as an indication of the sentence she will receive next month.
While Hamilton and Telford pleaded guilty to two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault, Balmer chose to contest the charges but was found unanimously guilty by a jury in September, following a trial.
Wilson admitted aiding and abetting assault occasioning actual bodily harm and aiding and abetting common assault.
She is due to be sentenced on Monday, along with her boyfriend, Teri Christopher Bernard Lau (27) from Dunclug Park, and Roddy Patterson also 27, and from Glendun Drive, in Ballymena, for her involvement in the attack on body-in-the-bin victim, Adam Robinson (21).
Yesterday, Judge McColgan heard that police in Ballymena knew nothing of the attack on the woman, who cannot be named to protect her identity, until she was arrested by police investigating the attack on Mr Robinson.
Detectives seized Wilson's mobile phone, and on examination uncovered shocking footage, not of the attack on Mr Robinson, but on an unconscious woman during a party sometime between May 18 and 22 last year. As well as video footage, there were also multiple images of the injured party and the four defendants on Wilson's phone. The attack, which Wilson had captured on her mobile, had gone unreported because the victim was left petrified and had fled Ballymena.