Belfast Telegraph

German bus attack victims get a mayoral reception

A busload of German youths injured when thugs threw stones at their coach have been treated to a VIP reception by the Lord Mayor of Belfast.

Three of the party, Stephanie Bauch, Venessa Revolinski and Kevin Walter, visiting on an exchange trip, were injured when a gang of youths threw stones at their coach on Kings Road in Tullycarnet on Monday night.

The children received superficial cuts from flying glass after two of the windows were smashed in the attack.

The Belfast visit had been organised by a Belfast based cross-community programme involving the East Belfast Area Youth Project and St Agnes Youth Club in Andersonstown.

However, the party’s leader, Christina Von Bibow, said: “I was with the group who were caught up in the attack earlier this week and everybody is absolutely determined not to allow that incident to detract from the wonderful time we had here in Belfast.

“We leave Northern Ireland with very good feelings of how friendly and welcoming the people are. We will have good memories of Belfast.”

Lord Mayor of Belfast, Councillor Pat Convery, hosted the 21 young people at the city hall yesterday before their return journey to Berlin on Sunday and passed on the good wishes of the people of Belfast.

“We hope that you will return to our city at some stage in the future, and hope that the very good friendships you made during your stay here will last for years to come,” he said.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph