Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Green light for 5,000-strong dissident internment anniversary rally without restrictions

By John Mulgrew

Published 01/08/2013

Thousands of dissident republicans are set to parade through Belfast next week
Thousands of dissident republicans are set to parade through Belfast next week

A 5,000-strong dissident republican rally to mark the anniversary of internment has been given the go-ahead without restrictions by the Parades Commission.

A ruling on the march on Friday, August 9 - to coincide with the introduction of internment in Northern Ireland in 1971 - was made this afternoon.

An application had been submitted to the commission with the organiser listed as The Anti-Internment League.

Those included in the protest include the main dissident groups - the Republican Network for Unity and 32 County Sovereignty Movement.

Organisers also said they intend inviting trade unions, GAA clubs and human rights groups.

The march is due to start at Ardoyne Avenue at 6pm before marching across to west Belfast through the city centre.

It is due to finish at 9pm.

As part of this afternoon's determination, the Parades Commission has said all of those involved should comply with the body's 'code of conduct'.

Marchers are to "behave with due regard for the rights, traditions and feelings of others in the vicinity; refrain from using words or behaviour which could reasonably be perceived as intentionally sectarian...and obey the directions of parade organisers".

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph