Belfast Telegraph

Heaters recalled in poison gas alert

A week after carbon monoxide poisoning claimed the lives of a Fermanagh couple, more than 800 faulty Calor portable gas heaters have been recalled across Ireland.

Affected customers have been urged by Calor and maker Unipart to switch off their heaters immediately and return them to the point of purchase.

It’s not known how many of the heaters could have been sold to Northern Ireland customers.

The recall refers to the brand names Royal Classic, Calor Classic or Calor Compact sold on both sides of the border since August 1.

The fault could potentially lead to the heaters emitting “carbon monoxide marginally above the allowed levels”.

Last week Pauline and Killian Scallon were poisoned when carbon monoxide fumes filled their home on the outskirts of Irvinestown.

Father-of-two Mr Scallon was found dead by relatives. His wife died in hospital on Tuesday.

The oil-fired central heating system in the house is the chief suspect in their deaths.

A spokesperson from UniPart said: “Whilst there is perceived to be minimal risk, our customers’ safety is paramount, so we have decided to carry out a product recall.

“The malfunction could lead to the heaters emitting carbon monoxide marginally above the allowed levels.

“Royal Classic, Calor Classic and Calor Compact portable heaters which have been purchased after the August 1, 2010 must be switched off immediately, and returned to the point of sale.

“We wish to thank our customers for their co-operation and apologise for any inconvenience caused.”

Retailers of the products have been notified of the fault, and sales have been suspended.

Calor has set up an information line for any customers who are worried about their heaters.

The number to call is 028 9045 5588 or 0800 181 4522. In the Republic, customers can call 1850 812 470.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph