Belfast Telegraph

Hoax bomb condemned

A hoax bomb alert in east Belfast last week has been roundly condemned by local politicians.

Army bomb experts dealt with a suspicious object at Cyprus Avenue last Friday after a member of the public noticed it in a garden.

Some residents were moved from their homes during the alert.

A police spokesperson said the object was a "crude, non-viable device".

The MP for the area, Naomi Long, said those responsible were "despicable".

"We are all relieved that this was simply an elaborate hoax, but it nevertheless caused much fear and disruption. Cyprus Avenue is a quiet residential area and people were shocked at news of this hoax alert. Those behind incidents like this are absolutely despicable."

Alliance councillor Máire Hendron, who lives in the vicinity, said: "I want to condemn the deeply irresponsible actions of those who left this hoax device as it caused serious annoyance to local residents. This was also a terrible drain on the resources of the authorities and I wish to praise them on their swift action in dealing with this."

UUP Councillor Jim Rodgers said: “There has been an increase in this sort of thing and it is quite worrying,” he said.

“The fear is that this will continue. I would appeal to people to help the police in ensuring the people behind this are brought to justice.”

A PSNI spokesperson said that inquiries to establish the circumstances of the incident are ongoing.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph