Belfast Telegraph

Hours before his death, Owen Creaney poses with man accused of his murder

By Deborah McAleese

This is the last photograph of murdered Owen Creaney, taken just hours before he was allegedly killed by the man standing next to him.

On the night this image was captured last week, the 40-year-old Lurgan man was viciously attacked and left for two days to die.

His body was discovered in a wheelie bin on Saturday following a tip-off to police.

The picture of Mr Creaney and one of his alleged killers — 27-year-old Stephen Hughes — was taken by 23-year-old co-accused Shauneen Boyle on the night police believe the attack occurred.

Mr Creaney, who police described as “frail and vulnerable”, was assaulted last Wednesday night, but did not die until Friday night or early Saturday morning, Craigavon Magistrates Court heard yesterday.

Boyle, the mother of a 14-month-old baby, posted the photograph of Mr Creaney and Hughes on her Facebook page on Thursday evening.

Hughes, of Moyraverty Court, Craigavon, and Boyle, of Edenderry Park, Banbridge, appeared before Craigavon Magistrates Court yesterday charged with murder.

They were led into the dock separately and a prison officer sat between them.

Hughes avoided eye contact with Boyle, who attempted to attract his attention on several occasions.

A PSNI detective told the court he believed that Mr Creaney had been attacked on Wednesday night.

He said he had not received any medical attention and died either late on Friday night or early Saturday morning.

The officer added that he believed he could connect both Boyle and Hughes to the murder.

The detective said that police called to Hughes’ house on Saturday following a report that a man had died.

Officers found Mr Creaney’s body in a wheelie bin after Boyle provided them with information, he said.

The detective also said that during initial police investigations a witness told officers that Boyle had admitted she attacked Mr Creaney on Wednesday night.

The officer added, however, that during police interview Boyle blamed Hughes for the attack, and Hughes in turn blamed Boyle.

A defence lawyer for Boyle asked the court to release her on bail because she is a mother to a baby boy.

“She has a young child to support and look after and every reason to behave herself on bail,” he said.

However, the detective said he objected to bail because Boyle had 49 previous convictions and that in 2012 she had left the jurisdiction while under investigation for arson.

The district judge refused to grant Boyle bail.

She said there was a possibility the accused would commit further offences, interfere with witnesses or leave the jurisdiction.

As Boyle was taken from the dock she leant over and said something to Hughes, who appeared to ignore her.

Both Hughes and Boyle are scheduled to appear back before the court via video-link on July 25.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph